Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd has launched the Dollar-for-Dollar initiative, matching each dollar donated by the public to the Horn of Africa appeals run by 16 AusAID-accredited non-government organisations. This means that every dollar the Australian community donates will be matched by the Australian Government. The initiative will run until 30 November 2011.
It means that you can chooseto give to your favourite International Development NGO . Each of these non-government organisations has a current appeal running and has been accredited by AusAID.
The dollar for dollar campaign means
• Where $15 will usually feed three families: now it will feed six.
• $20 will provide a clean water kit—soap, bucket, and water purification tablets—for a family of five for one month: now that will be for two families of five.
• $50 can power a borehole pump to supply water to 500 people for 4 days: now we can make that 1000 people.
• $142 can provide 10 families with high-energy biscuits; now those biscuits will feed 20 families.
• $450 can truck in enough water for 50 refugees for a month; now we can make that 100 refugees.
To find out more, including a fact sheet and list of participating NGOs, click here